Sunday, April 3, 2011

LIM - A Touch of Red

I'm a little late getting my card done for this week's Less is More challenge.  Each week, Chrissie and Mandi give us a new challenge...and I encourage you go check it out!  There are some beautiful cards posted by some very talented individuals.  Mandi and Chrissie usually give some helpful hints or a short tutorial.  I promise that you won't be disappointed!

For my card this week, I made an embossed frame backed with a piece of black card stock. The frame is pop-dotted above the image and I love the depth that it gives! The image is a Flourishes stamp called Lenten Rose.  I used a technique called Spotlighting.  I stamped my image on the card base, then I stamped it again on another piece of matching white card stock.  On the second piece, I added my "touch of red" by coloring just the one rose and part of the leaf.  I punched the colored rose out with a 1 inch circle punch and backed it with a 1 1/8 inch circle of black card stock.  Then I layered it on top of the black and white image.  The sentiment is from the same collection.

I spent the weekend with my Mother to celebrate her 86th birthday.  Two of my siblings were able to join us for dinner. I wish all six of us could have been there. That would have really made her birthday special.

While we were there, I also went to a crop with my sister and my niece.  I didn't take anything with me to work on, but my sister was prepared!  She had printed out this darling photo of my youngest granddaughter, Maggie.  Maggie was getting a bath while visiting her great-grandma...and it seems the best place to take a bath was in the kitchen sink! 

My scrapping tools were limited, since we were at a crop, but it's amazing what you can do with just a little.  The papers are from Making Memories and are called Chloe's Closet.  The colors were perfect with the colors in the photo! I hand cut some of the flowers from the papers and popped them up around the photo.  The little squares on the side were cut in 1.5 inch squares, and I rounded each of the corners of the top and bottom piece.  I also round the outside corners on the mat behind the photo.  I cut a frame from the blue gingham and used it to frame the photo.  Added a bit of faux stitching in blue and orange...and a few buttons for the flower centers.  I also added glossy accents to the title word "wet".  I kind of got a kick out of the title...because if you've ever bathed a baby...you know...they are definitely "slippery when wet"!!

(The layout is on a white background and does not have a black border...I added the black border digitally so that the edges of the layout would be visible.)

I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment...I really makes me happy!  Thanks so much for stopping by!!  Until next time....

Hugs!! 


Pin It!

64 comments:

Rosemary said...

OH MY GOSH!!! your card is absolutely GORGEOUS, susan!! i wanted the lenten rose set before, but after your card i REALLY want it now!

massofhair said...

Your card is so STUNNING... Fantastic technique and thank you for sharing how to do it. Makes your card stand out as usual:-)

Stamps and Paper said...

Susan what a stunning card...your touch of red really 'pops'out.

Anne

Linda Beeson said...

Wow on your gorgeous card! I LOVE that you spotlighted that one portion of the image and the cut out design is perfect too.

Sandra said...

Fabulous card

Shobana said...

Absolutely fantastic card! Brilliant technique to highlight the red and you have nailed it! :) Super! And your scrapbook layout with the happy baby in the sink is just too too cute and adorable! :)

Cathy said...

Such a stunning card, and a fab stamp set.
Cathy xx

Chrissie said...

Spotlighting is a perfect technique for our challenge this week Susan and this card is simply stunning!
A beautiful, beautiful card!
Have a great week.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Valerie-Jael said...

The card is great and the LO just wonderful! Love that photo of the bath-in-the-sink-baby, so precious!

Angelnorth said...

Great card, the spotlight technique works really well with that image to give your touch of red!

Sue said...

Beautifull card thank you for sharing how to do it Luv Sue x

Carole Campanile said...

I really love the frame. What a great idea. Great work on the challenge; you nailed it. :D

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

This is a stunner Susan. i saw spotlighting on a blog yesterday and thought might try that! Now I have seen this I'm definately going to give it a go. the tough of red id just perfect where you have chosen to spotlight. Very inspirational.

Ali x

Fiona said...

This is just beautiful Susan, I love the framed image and sentiment and the embossing goes perfectly with evertything.

Rita said...

What a Stunning card Susan. I have never seen this stamp before ,but I love it. Your technique is fabulous, so thank-you for that. Hugs Rita xxx

Canonbury creations said...

Stunning card Susan love the embossed frame and that fabulous stamp!
Val x

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful frame and spotlighted rose! And I love the texture behind it! And as always an amazing scrapbook page. Sorry about the enabling thing (not!). You've got my number!

Suze Bain said...

This is fabulous Susan and a technique I must try. Thanks for sharing. x

cnelson said...

stunning card...adorable lo!

Carla said...

great touch of red

Aileen said...

Great idea spot lighting, it looks fab! x

Mandi said...

I love the spotlight technique and this looks absolutely super
Thats a fab shape
Thanks for your entry
mandi
"Less is More"

Kathyk said...

Love (love love) your use of the spotlight technique on this fab card

Kathyk

Sarn said...

absolutely adore your LiM card. Very classy.
Hugs, Sandra

Maureen said...

A beautiful card truly!!! I love that embossing folder!!!

Seafield Jo said...

Absolutely stunning card Susan, that technique looks amazing. Thanks for sharing how you did it. Jo x

Viv said...

Beautiful card, I love it, .....keep meaning to try the spotlighting thing :O) Viv xx

Gibmiss said...

HI Susan
Fab card love it...you are so good at these cards ...
hugs
sylvie
xxxx

G Peplow said...

Fabulous card Susan:0) Glad you had some quality time with your mother:0) xxx

Kim S said...

This card is absolutely stunning. I love the window shape and the roses peeking through with just that touch of red.

Unknown said...

Goodness me, that is just a simply truly beautiful card! Love everything about it. Thank you for your comment on my cards, it is appreciated. Sarah

Fiona said...

Fabulous card and beautiful baby!! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my card. x

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done with a perfect touch of red

pickle said...

Just one word...WOW

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Beautiful card - I really love that spotlight technique.
Caroline xxx

Gina said...

Susan, this card is inspired, the embossing really makes the card look special and the spotlighting is just brilliant.
Gina x

Deborah Frings said...

Susan - what a truly elegant and beautiful card. I love the texture from the embossing, and the spotlight on the lenten rose is fab!

Jacki Daniels said...

Hi Susan thanks for your lovely comments on my cards your's are simply stunning
Jacki xx

Anne said...

Very very classy card, that red just makes it perfect
Anne
x

Vicky said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! your less is more card is purely stunning WOWWWWW my jaw really hit the floor with a bang. Love your scrapbook page as well Maggie is sooooo cute.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Emzie said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Susan, I love the technique you have used.
Emz x

A Consuming Passion said...

Another fabulous cards Susan. Love the frame you cut and the spot lighting on that delightful image is perfect~ The embossing folder you've used I seem to see everywhere at the moment it's really great!
What a wonderful page you created too, though it's such a great photo how could you fail!!!

Vicky Hayes said...

I like the frame effect and the spotlighting technique was a great idea for the touch of red. Your scrapbook page is gorgeous too - what a sweetheart your little grandaughter is! Love the faux stitching - it looks so real!

Tracy said...

beautiful card very elegant. love the layout to the photo is cute. Tracy x

Maureen said...

Such a gorgeous card, well done.
Maureen.........x

Michelle said...

Hi Susan, Another beautiful lim card, and I love your scrap book page too.

Hugs
Michelle

Irene said...

Hello Susan

What a fabulous card, I love it. Black and white with a touch of red is sooooooooooooo elegant.
irene
xxxx

Jose said...

This is elegant Susan, love it.
Jose
x

Heather said...

Hi Susan, thanks for your visit and lovely comment - two fabulous creation, gorgeous layout and what a happy baby Maggie is!! Your LIM more card is stunning, beautiful image and your frame is beautiful.
hugs
Heather xx

Sally H said...

Wow, Susan! What a stunning card! Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for your kind comments x

Erika said...

Susan great LO and fab picture but your less is more card is fantastic, love the frame and the touch of red, stunning.

Kathleen said...

Fabulous card Susan.

Kath x

Wishcraft said...

Gorgeous card Susan! Fab embossing and love the spotlighting. Your scrapbook layout is so cute :o) Lisa x

hazel said...

What a beautiful spotlight card Susan. I love everything about it.
xxx Hazel.

Maggie said...

Fantastic card the embossing really makes the design pop and the spotlight technique is stunning with the red rose - beautiful, it's a favourite technique of mine!. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.

Maggie said...

BTW forgot to say your scrapbook page is stunning with a gorgeous subject!

Jenny said...

Beautiful card, I love the circle highlighting the red flower. Your LO is great too, such a cute photo.
Jennie X

massofhair said...

Susan, thank you so much for paying a second visit and commenting on the re done touch of red card, much appreciated:-)

Cardarian said...

Your LIM card is stunning! Love it! I had a snoop around your blog and you make lovely stuff!
Hugs,
Cardarian

ThinkInk Creative said...

Wow! speechless. That card is amazing.

cheers,
Malyn

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Stunningly beautiful creation Susan - love the embossing and the beautiful images. Fabulous!
Thanks for popping by my blog today - hugs, Sylvia x

DaisyB said...

Really elegant card - I'm now dying to try that spotlight technique.

Diane said...

Wonderful LIM card, the impact of that touch of red in the frame is fantastic.
Diane x
P.S love your LO and what a happy fun pic..lucky you, a gorgeous grandaughter!

Linby said...

I just love how you spotlighted the flower and the digital black border-elegant card love it.
Linbyx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails