Monday, January 23, 2017

CAS Watercolor and CAS Mix Up Challenges

I think I'll just make these two challenges...CAS Watercolor and CAS Mix Up.  So here we go...


I actually made 2 cards for each of these challenges...hmm...which shall I chose to enter...


This first card is for the CAS Mix Up challenge and was made using alcohol inks.  I used glossy paper and added drops of three different alcohol inks (sailboat blue, sunshine yellow, and citrus).  I dropped the ink on one or 2 drops at a time and using the Tim Holtz Air Spritzer tool to spray burst of air at each of the drops.  I repeated the process until I was happy with the results.  You really get a different look every time you spray air at the alcohol ink.  I cut it at an angle and popped it on a card base. Sentiment is from Altenew's Beautiful Quotes set.


This was the second card I made and I wasn't as crazy about it as I was the alcohol ink card.  For this card I used the shaving cream technique that Loll talked about with distress ink re-inkers for the background of the card panel. I stamped the flowers from Sweet 'n Sassy - layering them using masks.  I added some yellow Copics to the flowers. Of course, I also added a touch of wink of stella for a little shine.


This was actually my second card for the CAS Watercolor challenge, but I like it best. I'm really loving playing with water colors. I think I discover something new every time I try it!  I cut a panel larger than I ended up with, and water colored the background. I think I needed a little more blue in the sky...but I'm happy with it. The trees are an older stamp from Flourishes...stamped twice and heat embossed with white. Sentiment is from PTI. Cut the watercolor panel down quite a bit and added a tiny dark blue border behind it, then popped it on a card base that I had embossed with a snow embossing folder.


This was the first card I made for the water color challenge.  I water colored the background, and after it was dry, I stamped some tiny snowflakes (from a really old stamp set).  I cut snowflakes with dies from MFT from glitter paper and added them on top of the painted panel.  Then sentiment is heat embossed with white and is from Flourishes.


This is a card I just thought I'd share since I was posting.  LOVE how this turned out!  More water coloring (but no snowflakes!)  It's kind of all in sepia tones.  Sentiment is from PTI.  

As always, thanks so much for stopping in.  I appreciate your visit...and I appreciate each and every comment!
Photobucket


Pin It!

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, my, Susan! That alcohol ink piece is gorgeous! What wonderful patterns and colors! I haven't tried the spritzer tool but need to remember to get it out. Your marbled piece is also very pretty, especially with the yellow flowers! Love the snowy, pink sky and icy trees and your watercolor panel with the stamped and die cut snowflakes! Lastly, thanks for sharing that last card! What a beautiful watercolor! Thanks so much for sharing these with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolor!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

WOW! Five stunning cards here Susan! The first is so vibrant (I finally found my alcohol inks, so must give this a try), and I love the dynamic angle of the panel. The second card is very artsy and I love the flowers stamped on top of the marbled background like that. The third is so peaceful looking and I think that the sky is just perfect as it is. The blue background in the fourth is very pretty and the snowflakes just sets it off perfectly and I love the finishing touch of the pin-striping you have done around the outside to frame it. Last, but by no means least, and my personal favourite, this pretty scene needs to be in a frame on the wall, it's simple, stylish and so lovely! Thank you for popping by my blog today and for your kind comments! Have a lovely evening/day! Hazel xx

Darnell said...

Susan, these are all gorgeous backgrounds you've created! Making them is such fun, isn't it? Where you also shine is knowing what to do with the backgrounds after you make them! Your designs and matting all "fit" each background perfectly to show it off to its best advantage!! Hugs, Darnell

Loll said...

WOW ... all amazing cards Susan. LOVE the AIs on your slanted angle. I have one of those air tools from SU! and had never thought about using it for this. So awesome and thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm excited to give this a try! Love the mix of bright colours.

Your marbled panel is beautiful ... you did a great job! And so pretty with the spray of yellow flowers.

On tho the watercolouring ... you have some serious skills Susan. Love that pink sky. Gorgeous with the white embossed trees. That small frame of blue really makes our winter scene "pop". Your watercoloured snowflake card is so sweet. Love the soft colours and your mix of heat embossing and die-cutting.

And finally ... your sepia watercolouring is a masterpiece. Should be framed and hung on the wall. Love it!

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing cards with us at CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour! xx

nancy littrell said...

OMG Susan, What a treat to see and read your descriptions to all 4 of your cards. So glad you added your sepia card too...what a gorgeous, soft landscape.

Your CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour cards are so beautiful. Your really have your watercolour washes mastered...not easy to do.

I agree your sepia card should be framed!!!

Again...TFS with us today. Hugs, nancy

Susan said...

What a stunning batch of cards! I love them all but am here to comment on the one you entered in CAS Watercolour. It is truly beautiful - love the soft pink sky and the gently falling snow. Great attention to detail with the tree, the narrow border, and the embossed card base. Thanks so much for joining us.

Your other watercolour one with the snowflakes has equally beautiful colours, and the sepia one is fabulous - I'm saving it to CASE!

Aileen said...

Wow what an amazing collection of cards, using so many techniques. I came cause I saw your first cad over at the CAS challenge but wow so much beauty.

Julia Aston said...

My goodness Susan - what a wonderful group of cards you created - so many wonderful techniques and designs! I think my favs are the first one and the last one (which I definitely want to try and CASE!!) Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at the CAS Mix Up Challenge! Julia xx

Debbie said...

LOVELY CARDS I love your abstract first card with alcohol inks and the last watercoloured sepia card - stunning ( I feel guilty that ive done no xmas cards yet bang goes the ny resolution)

Nance Leedy said...

Popped over here from Pinterest. All your cards are gorgeous but the last one took my breath away. So simple yet stunning. You inspired me and I gave you credit on my blog. Thank you for sharing! http://nanceleedy.blogspot.com/2017/08/radiant-light-in-great-outdoors-pp356.html

Unknown said...

I love the trees in the watercolor. What stamp did you use?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails